How to Get Rid of Fire Ants
- Remove or reduce attractants.
- Eliminate standing water and other sources of moisture in or around the home.
- Store food tightly and wipe up spills.
- Keep trashcans covered and sealed.
- When dining outside, keep food covered until ready to eat.
- Avoid wearing dark colors and floral prints, loose-fitting garments, open-toe shoes and sweet-smelling perfumes or colognes.
- To make it more difficult for fire ants to enter, homeowners should check and seal gaps around doors and windows.
- There are several at home measures for fire ant control. However home treatments such as repellents (direct treatment of the mounds and baits) and orange oil have limited effectiveness against fire ant infestations. Fire ants are able to detect gaps in the treated areas and will simply go around the treated areas.
- To ensure the control of a fire ant colony near your home, contact your local pest control experts who have tools and techniques to successfully manage fire ants.