Inside the walls of your home, termites and carpenter ants may be hard at work doing what they do best; destroying any wood they encounter. Though these wood loving insects are not known for making their debut out in the open, homeowners may take notice of certain warning signs and clues that these insects leave behind.
In some cases, many homeowners make the unfortunate discovery that they are sharing their home with carpenter ants or termites. This can lead to a number of questions as to what is the next best course of action. For example, if you have spotted only one or two carpenter ants, should you treat them yourself? Or, when is it really necessary to call in a professional pest control company?
Truly Nolen of Mansfield takes a look at some of the warning signs that homeowners should be aware of, the questions that many homeowners may ask and provides a guide on what to look for in a company.
Carpenter Ant & Termite Warning Signs
Since carpenter ants and termites (also known as “the silent destroyers”) work behind the scenes, it is not uncommon that these insects cause a great deal of damage before the problem is finally discovered by the homeowner. Residents of Mansfield are encouraged to pay attention to clues these insects may leave behind. Spotting the signs of infestation early may mean the difference between a minor issue, and an expensive one.
Termite Warning Signs
- Mud tubes – made from wood and soil, subterranean termites are experts at tunneling their way with mud tubs, designed to protect and be a source of transportation between colonies and food sources.
- Wood damage- although internal wood damage caused by termites goes unnoticed until it has progressed to a more destructive level , keeping an eye on visible areas of the home that are made of wood, can be helpful for early detection. Broken or torn wood is a good indication that termites have been around.
- Discarded wings- after a termite swarm, swarmers will shed their wings after taking flight, leaving behind small piles.
Carpenter Ant Warning Signs:
- Unlike termites, carpenter ants chew through wood without eating it. They will always leave a trail of sawdust behind as evidence that they’ve been busy. Homeowners should pay close attention to wooden window sills and doorframes.
- Carpenter ants are attracted to damp wood. Areas that you may spot carpenter ants are around old door frames, bath tubs, sinks and roofs that have been affected by a leak.
- Wood piles, decaying tree stumps or logs are also ideal spots for carpenter ants to take up residence and lay their eggs and you may often see a trail of these outside in your yard if the wood piles are present.
Homeowner Q & A
Are annual termite inspections really necessary?
Annual termite and carpenter ant inspections are recommended to help monitor any activity that may be brewing without the homeowner’s knowledge. Truly Nolen’s termite inspections will expose any termite activity and provide homeowners with a plan to eradicate the infestation to help prevent further damage.
Can I treat my home myself?
Nowadays, ‘do it yourself’ products have become more popular and have certainly improved over the years. Everything from store bought chemicals and organic, homemade treatments are all at the homeowner’s disposal. While there are some pest problems that can be relieved solely at the homeowner’s discretion, there are cases where do it yourself treatments can worsen the problem and treatment should be left to a pest professional. Older homes or houses that are in areas that have been known to demonstrate higher pest or termite activity are more likely to be in need of a professional treatment plan. Homeowners should also be aware that if high levels of infestation have been discovered (either by a pest professional or by the homeowner themselves) it is always advisable to have a pest professional assume the responsibility of treating the affected area. Expert knowledge and advanced treatment techniques and products present the best chance against hard to treat pests such as termites and carpenter ants.
Which treatment methods and products are most effective?
After a thorough termite inspection and evaluation of the suspected infestation, your Truly Nolen pest expert can assess and recommend several different treatment options that have been tried and tested, and proven safe and effective by the Truly Nolen team. Treatment will require eliminating the problem at its source. Treatment methods are not a “one size fits all” as many different factors should be considered to target and treat pests in the most efficient way possible.
What should I look for in a pest control company?
The National Pest Management Association outlines key aspects for homeowners when selecting a professional pest control company including:
- A qualified and licensed pest management company that is a member of national, state or local pest management associations.
- Ask friends and neighbors to recommend companies they have used successfully.
- Buy value, not price.
- Before signing a contract, be sure to fully understand the nature of the pest, the extent of the infestation, and the work necessary to solve the problem.
- Find out if the company has liability insurance to cover any damages to your house or furnishings during treatment.
- If a guarantee is given, know what it covers, how long it lasts, what you must do to keep it in force, and what kind of continuing prevention and management are necessary.
Benefits of Truly Nolen Mansfield’s Treatment Approach
At Truly Nolen of Mansfield, we focus on treating current infestations with targeted solutions, but also employ preventative treatment measures to help protect your home from future termite or carpenter ant infestations.
Our Sentricon system starts by eliminating the queen and ending the termite food chain in order to kill the entire colony. The process includes use of bait stations. By eliminating the termite infestation at the source, the colony can be controlled and eradicated. Similarly, carpenter ant treatment also includes bait stations and treatment at the source.
Residents of Mansfield can enjoy the benefits of working with their local Truly Nolen for any pest and termite issues including:
- Satisfaction guaranteed- We work until you are satisfied with your end result.
- Innovative- Advanced application methods and products are always utilized when treating your home for pests.
- Convenient- We work to fit your schedule, whether it be for a one-time visit or for on-going treatments
- Environmentally friendly- Truly Nolen tries to keep things green whenever possible, always keeping the safety of your family and pets in mind.
Call Truly Nolen of Mansfield to schedule your free termite inspection!