While hotels, along with multi-family and single family homes still rank as the top three places in the US for reported bed bug problems, according to a 2015 survey from the National Pest Management Association in conjunction with the University of Kentucky. Bed Bugs without Borders discovered that from hotels to hospitals, from daycares to dorm rooms and even to the corporate environment, bed bugs can be found just about anywhere people gather to relax and sleep.
Hitching rides in luggage, on clothes and even in electronics, bed bugs travel wherever theres something they can catch a ride on. Fast-moving, bed bugs can also travel rapidly from unit to unit in multi-family properties, dorm rooms and rooms in healthcare facilities through the walls and holes made for plumbing and electrical installations.
Bed Bugs on the move
The survey also points out that one of the reasons bed bug infestations are on the rise in the US centers on our increasingly mobile lifestyles. As more people fly to their business and travel destinations and stay overnight, as we use public transportation and even as we Uber around town, we encourage bed bug activity.
Fortunately, the survey also shows that people are becoming more bed bug-conscious before, during and after traveling, checking bed bug registries before booking overnight accommodations, inspecting hotel rooms when checking-in, in addition to laundering and vacuuming all traveling items when returning home. Bed bugs can be challenging to eliminate altogether from commercial settings, as people unknowingly bring bed bugs into the commercial arena.
Commercial bed bug services requests on the rise to treat and monitor bed bug activity
Some states like Ohio, one of many, where bed bugs are showing resistance to commonly used materials, have Agricultural and Health departments teaming up to develop programs that distribute grant funding to political subdivisions and housing authorities in an all-out effort to combat bed bugs. These measures also include retaining ongoing professional pest control services that will also conduct monitoring services, as well as purchasing and distributing mattress covers.
Ongoing bed bug control is the only way to get a handle on these elusive pests
As commercial businesses cant really track or control bed bugs arriving and departing their properties, Truly Nolen recommends ongoing bed bug control programs.
Truly Nolen takes commercial properties from inspection to prevention with a plan tweaked specifically to your businesss needs. Our innovative Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system goes to work on bed bugs, starting with a free inspection of your commercial properties. After a thorough inspection, Truly Nolen service experts devise a plan with business owners or property managers to treat your business, customized to your schedule and other considerations.
Commercial businesses work with pest control companies prepping business establishments for bed bug treatment
Truly Nolen works with commercial properties step-by-step to prepare for bed bug treatments, suggesting that:
- All washable or dry clean safe items should be removed in bags from affected areas and cleaned to avoid spreading bed bugs to additional areas.
- All carpets in affected areas must be thoroughly vacuumed and vacuum cleaner bags disposed of inside a plastic bag, then sealed, and deposited in an outdoor receptacle.
- Non-washable items, such as accessories, clocks, picture frames, office materials and supplies should be secured in plastic bags or totes and left for treatment.
- All other miscellaneous items, including cardboard boxes, need to be bagged and left in affected area for treatment.
Trulys innovative IPM system uses innovative technology and materials
Professional pest control companies constantly update to the latest materials and technology to treat persistent pests, as bed bugs continue to become resistant to commonly used materials. Truly Nolens innovative Integrated Pest Management (IPM) system uses only the most effective, eco-friendly materials and methods to eliminate bed bugs from your property.
Treatments vary depending on affected material content and type
- Treatments include low flow and high flow misting techniques on mattresses, box springs, curtains, leather, furniture and office supplies, depending on the composition of items. Paintings and other artwork are treated carefully with another method that will be safe for those items.
- In hotels, motels, resorts, hospitals and other businesses with infested beds, Truly Nolen suggests using cost-saving options for mattresses and box springs. Bed bug specific encasement systems exclude future infestations, while any treated bed bugs inside encasements will soon die off.
Eliminating bed bugs takes education, communication, awareness and effort in commercial and residential environments. As bed bugs can affect all businesses and residential properties alike, homeowners and business travelers should know what to look for when traveling and practice prevention initiatives on returning from trips to prevent bed bugs from infesting their homes and businesses.
In the tourist, hospitality, healthcare and just about every other industry today, business owners are at risk for bed bug infestations. Most companies cant afford to constantly fight bed bug issues, so getting on board with a reliable professional pest control company, such as Truly Nolen just makes good business sense. Bed bugs may be challenging but Truly Nolen knows how to keep them out of your homes and businesses. Contact your local Truly Nolen location to schedule a free bed bug inspection today!