The sighting of one or two pests may not be enough to prompt homeowners into calling a pest control company. However, where there is one pest, there may often times be others! While some pests are considered to be just a nuisance and are tolerated by homeowners, there are others that should not be ignored as they can pose serious threats such as severe property damage as well as negatively impact your family’s health and well-being. Rodents ( mice and rats) , cockroaches, termites and more are all considered to be pests that can be problematic on a higher scale and should be addressed sooner than later to avoid growing infestations.
The city of Atlanta is well known for its variety of activities and events, as well as the natural beauty that the state has to offer. Along with these positive attributes come other not so positive statistics with regard to pest activity:
- The National Pest Management Association (NPMA) named Atlanta as the # 6 “Buggiest Cities” in the United States. Atlanta’s sprawling urban development, along with the climate and geography of the state, make it the ideal home for many pests.
- Residents in Georgia spend approximately $200- $300 million dollars per year on pest control, as well as on repairs from damage caused.
- Atlanta’s construction boom and city development over the last several years caused a disturbance in rodent patterns, forcing rodents closer into the city. Atlanta is now said to have the second highest rat population in the USA.
- The American College of Allergy, Asthma and Immunology cites that studies of inner city children in Atlanta with symptoms of chronic wheezing and runny noses, had these symptoms as a result of allergies to cockroaches.
Why Do I need A Pest Control Company?
Just as homeowners take care of their homes through on-going maintenance such as roof repairs, painting and more, pest control management should be included in those items needed to keep your home safe and secure all year round. Without consistent monitoring of pest activity, homeowners run the risk of potential structural damage and exacerbated health issues if small pest problems are left to turn into major ones.
If you think you don’t need a pest control company, consider the following:
- Roaches- Roaches are scavengers, eager to eat any and everything they come into contact with. As carriers of germs, diseases and bacteria, roaches are infamous for causing allergies, which can become airborne and spread to many areas of the home through vents and air ducts. The allergens produced by roaches have been shown to cause health concerns, ranging from mild to more severe including:
- Asthma ( mild onset to severe complications)
- Skin rashes
- Digestive problems
- Food poisoning
- Severe respiratory conditions
- Intestinal diseases
- Termites – Termites are wood destroying insects, which makes Atlanta homes the perfect place for termites to have their fun. Termite damage can represent a real economic impact to homeowners if an infestation is not caught early. Eastern Subterranean termites in particular are very common in Atlanta with homeowners spending an average of $3,000 to repair the damage caused.
- Rodents – Rats and mice are vectors of many diseases which are easily passed on to humans even without direct contact. Rodents can enter the home even through the smallest of openings and will gnaw through wood, plastic, insulation, wiring and more in order to reach food or water. The presence of rats or mice pose serious health issues in various ways:
- People can become infected if the rodent dropping or urine contains a Hantavirus which may infiltrate dust that can be breathed in by humans.
- Eating or drinking food or water that is contaminated with rat feces.
- Direct contact with live or dead rats that are infected.
- In rare cases, rats directly biting a human.
Truly Nolen West Atlanta encourages homeowners to consider pest control management as part of their overall home maintenance plan. Addressing pest issues early on can prevent more serious damage from occurring. Pest control does not need to be an overwhelming activity! Call your Truly Nolen West Atlanta pest professional today at (404) 939-7277 to schedule a FREE inspection. A thorough evaluation of your home may reveal an underlying pest problem, which can be safely and effectively taken care of. With convenient scheduling, environmentally friendly products and innovative treatment methods, Truly Nolen can provide Atlanta residents with the best in pest control all year around.